The Taunton to Chard railway ran through Ilton and was opened in 1866. It was run by the Bristol and ExeterRailway Company. In 1876 it was taken over by The Great Western Railway.(GWR).
The five passenger trains in each direction took 40-45 mins for the 15 1/4 mile journey between Chard and Taunton, stopping at Ilminster, Ilton Halt, Hatch and Thornfalcon.
The line was closed in September 1962 and the rails taken up two years later. Ilton Halt was removed in 1979 and was reconstucted at Cranmore on the East Somerset Railway.
Many of the bridges have now been demolised and much of the track bed has been absorbed into adjacent farmland. The old wartime pillboxes can still be seen along the route of the railway and are now protected monuments.